Wanted: Advocacy Interns
Unchained At Last, the organization that started and now leads the growing national movement to end child marriage in America, seeks Advocacy Interns across four states to join the movement. Apply here.
Unchained will train and closely supervise the Advocacy Interns, giving them a rare opportunity to learn and practice:
- Communicating directly with legislators and their staffers;
- Testifying before legislative committees;
- Researching and submitting written testimony to legislative bodies;
- Identifying and networking with allies;
- Building grassroots support;
- Helping to plan political protests and similar events.
The Advocacy Internships are open to undergraduate and graduate students and recent graduates who:
- Are located in one of these states, where bills to end child marriage are pending or about to be introduced: Florida, Massachusetts, New Jersey or Pennsylvania;
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Are ridiculously organized and detail oriented;
- Feel passionately about ending child marriage in America.
The Advocacy Interns can choose one or more of these internship periods:
- 10 hours per week during the spring semester (January 2018 to May 2018)*
- 15 hours per week during the summer semester (June 2018 to August 2018)*
- 10 hours per week during the fall semester (September 2018 to December 2018)*
*These hours and time periods can be modified if necessary, to meet the requirements of particular schools.
The Advocacy Interns participate mostly via telecommute. Students near Unchained’s office in Westfield, New Jersey, are encouraged to spend some or all of their hours in the office.
These are unpaid internships. Unchained will take all necessary steps to help the Advocacy Interns earn college credit.
Child marriage is a significant problem in America, where laws in all 50 states still allow marriage before age 18. In fact, laws in 25 states do not specify any minimum age for marriage.
Unchained’s groundbreaking research showed an estimated quarter-million children as young as 10 were married in the U.S. between 2000 and 2010. Almost all were girls wed to adult men.
Unchained is the only nonprofit in the U.S. dedicated to helping women and girls leave or avoid arranged/forced marriages and rebuild their lives. Unchained also is the only nonprofit in the U.S. dedicated to creating social, policy and legal change to end forced and child marriage in America. The organization recently started, and now leads, a growing national movement to pass legislation in every U.S. state and at the federal level to eliminate child marriage.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, submit your application and resume here.