Do you know any lawyers who want to help women and girls in the U.S. to escape forced marriages?
Unchained again is offering its popular training course on family law with a focus on forced marriage, in partnership with Rutgers Institute for Professional Education. The course is worth valuable Continuing Legal Education credits in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania — and the $150 course fee is waived for admitted attorneys who commit to representing an Unchained client pro bono as she flees a forced marriage.
NJ: 8.1 credits (including 1.2 ethics)
NY: 8.0 credits (including 1.0 ethics)
PA: 6.5 credits (including 1.0 ethics)
The CLE course provides an overview of New Jersey matrimonial law, covering the major steps of the divorce process — from filing the complaint to addressing issues of equitable distribution, child custody, child support and alimony. The course focuses on forced marriage and the legal and ethical issues involved.
- Ellen Gold, Attorney at Law
- Abed Awad, Awad & Khoury
- Nancy Richmond, Ceconi & Cheifetz
- Alyssa Engleberg, Donahue Hagan Klein & Weisberg
- Fraidy Reiss, Unchained At Last
Attorneys who join Unchained’s pro bono team receive:
- FREE access to this CLE training course ($150 value)
- Experience in matrimonial law
- Mentoring from an experienced matrimonial law attorney
- Valuable networking opportunities
- Hours of service toward exemption from mandatory pro bono assignments (in NJ)
- Unchained funds for expert witnesses and other court-related fees
- The chance to unchain a woman or a girl from a marriage she did not choose
Attorneys with 5+ years of matrimonial law experience also can take advantage of these opportunities:
- Mentor another attorney (counts in New Jersey as hours of service toward exemption from mandatory pro bono assignments)
- Present a portion of an upcoming Unchained CLE course (and earn double CLE credits in NJ)
Girls and women across the U.S. are being pressured, tricked, threatened or beaten into marriage, and then trapped. For them, marriage often means a lifetime of rape and domestic servitude.
Unchained is the only organization in the U.S. dedicated to helping those women and girls, by coordinating escapes and providing pro bono legal representation, wraparound social services and emotional support. Unchained also is the only organization dedicated to ending forced and child marriage in America.